Monday, January 30, 2006

Kortti

Off to school I go with Dana (exchange student from Canada) at my side discussing the important, the deep, troubling issues of life: why people on bikes in Finland do not warn you as they go swooshing by, why my school back home and the school here in Oulu can’t hire architects that construct buildings which are pleasing to the eye, and most importantly of all . . . why in the world do we have to have so many cards here in Oulu?? You might be pondering (or not depending on how inquisitive your personality is) at this very moment: what do you mean by “cards?” Well, well, well, let me just inform you of this interesting phenomenon here in Oulu, Finland. When I first arrived in Oulu I had my passport (I am not sure whether that actually constitutes as a “card” though), health insurance card (or rather paper with clear tape on it), drivers license (from TN), AAA card, credit card (for emergencies), ETSU student ID card, and, by accident, three grocery store “discount” cards. At first glance, yes, I seem to have several cards with me already. So, why am I discussing this in the first place?

A-hmm, hmmm, let me tell you: Picture it . . . a dim, cold, snowy, wintery day on the 3rd of January, in Oulu, Finland 2006, on the campus of Oulun Yliopisto during orientation . . . (Are you picturing, yet?) I am informed that I must pay a fee for the student card that will give us a discount at lunch and relatively anywhere else that provides discounts for students upon showing a card. Obviously, I thought to myself, this is quite practical, especially since almost every other college/university gives their students ID cards. I thought my duty with buying or receiving cards were done. Oh, no, no young grasshopper! Let me just list all of the different cards I have accumulated in my 4 weeks stay in Oulu: opiskelijakortti (i.e. student card – for the university), train card, Nordea ATM card, Oulu bus card, a “SIM” card (goes in your phone – isn’t big though), and a sports card (let’s you in to the different school sports halls around Oulu). To sum that up SIX, yes, six cards! With the cards I had mentioned above earlier, I accumulated those over the past 3 or so years. Now, I actually would have one more card to add to my repertoire, but I have not checked out a book in the library as of yet. For some reason, possibly a mere hunch, I believe there will be more cards I shall be in need of in the following months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home