Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Pyöräillä


Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like


I find it quite amazing these Finns are able to withstand such tremendous cold. I looked on our thermometer this morning and saw -23 degrees Celsius (-9 degrees Fahrenheit -- & weather.com said it "feels like -27). Wonderful, simply wonderful ;) As I walked to the Yliopisto (university) I see more people than not . . . riding their silly bicycles in this freakin' cold weather!!

You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite
You say shark I say hey man
Jaws was never my scene
And I don't like Star Wars
You say Rolls I say Royce
You say God give me a choice
You say Lord I say Christ
I don't believe in Peter Pan
Frankenstein or Superman
All I wanna do is

The weirdest thing happened though when I was walking to campus (so it had to be happening to the crazy people on the bikes). I know this sounds gross, but I have to tell the truth. Lately, every time I walk outside I get the sniffles. Thus, to prevent the slippage of nose mucus down the lower part of the face, one must ever so slighty “sniff” back in the slipping mucus. As I was completing the process described, I noticed that the insides of my nostrils were freezing . . . by golly my mucus was freezing!!! Weird I know, I apologize if you find this disgusting and are wondering why I am even posting this, but if I’m gonna relay my experiences here in Finland back to people in the states, I have to describe little odd things like that.

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycleI want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycleI want to ride my
Bicycle races are coming your way
So forget all your duties all year!
Fat bottomed girls
They'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
On your marks get set go
Bicycle race bicycle race bicycle race
Bicycle bicycle bicycleI want to ride my bicycle
Bicycle bicycle bicycle bicycle
Bicycle race

Now, I am finally getting some Oulu, Finland winter weather. In class yesterday, the professors were saying that this cold front is coming from Siberia and that we would be getting even more of that front in the following days. I don’t really care though; however, I don’t want this extremely cold weather to stay around too long ;) haha.

You say coke I say caine
You say John I say Wayne
Hot dog I say cool it man
I don't wanna be the President of America
You say smile I say cheese
Cartier I say please
Income tax I say Jesus
I don't wanna be a candidate for
Vietnam or Watergate
Cause all I wanna do is

The two pics that I have posted are the truth; these people are attached at the hip to their bikes. NO matter the weather, young and old take their bikes wherever they may go. They have so many places to park your bike; In fact . . . I think they have more biking spaces than car spaces!

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like
~ QUEEN

4 Comments:

At 10:20 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting mucous story. It makes me wonder if this is a concern of all the people of Finland (and other countries with a similar climate), or is it only unique to our beloved Miss Betsy? Does their mucous freeze as well, or have they somehow developed a resistance to that phenomenon over the years? Is the population crying out for someone to rescue them from this curse of the North country? Is there an invention as yet to be created or a drug as yet to be discovered that could relieve this frozen bugar of a mess for the masses. Could be a double-blind controlled study is in order. After all, this is supposed to be an educational experience, right? So I say ride that bike, girly, and enjoy!
dmj

 
At 6:48 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I want to know is, are the tired studded? Do bikes fishtail down the road? Let's see some pics of riders when you get a chance. This is exciting, but I am not ready to try biking in the snow yet.

 
At 5:57 AM EST, Blogger Elizabetc said...

Haha mooma . . . most of the Finn's tires on their bikes are not studded, and reall the amazing thing about their tires is that they are not as thick as I thought they might be. More like a hybrid type tire. I'll try to get some pics. My roomie Eva just got a bike from a friend; so I'll get some pics of her :)

I have seen bikes fishtail down the road but I haven't seen anyone fall as of yet. They manage the bumpy and/or icey conditions quite well. Obviously they aren't clipped in so they don't have to worry about that.

I would say that it is easier to ride the bikes when it has recently snowed because you have the powdery snow, not the icey snow.

 
At 2:13 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha- your mucus froze! That is awesome.. and it's stories like that that make me love you!! :) Glad to hear you are doing so well-I am so excited for you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home