Thursday, January 19, 2006

Another COLD Day

Another cold day in Finland. The temp this morn on our thermometer read -27 Celsius. Purty durn cold if you ask me! So, it seems that the colder it gets the more sun, sky, and moon I get to see. So it is a double edged sword that I play with here. Oh well :)

Okay, so here's the low down on the class structure here in Finland . . . there really is no clear structure. After last semester's hard core Psych Labs and Lectures, all of my classes giving me a clear and concise (well except for one, and I hated that class) outline of the semester's goals and expectations of students, as well as having the classes in the same place and time every single week of the semester, I have been a little taken aback by the nonchalant attitude of teachers here. Even at orientation the ladies of the International Office were telling us that we would find a difference between our schools and Finland's. They were right. I was discussing with my friend Dana that in a weird sort of twisted way, deep down inside we like being pushed, challenged, and drawn through the mud (we just like to complain about it at times). Thus, here in at Oulun Yliopisto (The University of Oulu) I am getting a much need break away from the stress of ETSU.

3 Comments:

At 6:03 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I was just thinking, if it is really religion with these nudist colonies, they sure must turn atheists in the wintertime." ~Will Rogers

There is much to be said for leaving something to the imagination by wearing a swimsuit in a public place. I keep remembering the GG episode where the girls unwittingly booked a vacation at a nudist colony and finally decided to doff their clothes and go to dinner, only to find everyone there dressed for dinner. So Betsy, do they dress when they go to the pastry & coffee bar in Eden?

Love,
Me

 
At 9:02 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brrrrr!!! Just remember: If you get to where you can't stand it anymore, just put on your ruby-red slippers and click your heels together three times and keep saying "there's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home." I doubt it will help the situation much, but maybe it will keep your feet warm!
dmj

 
At 2:16 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still making the study abroad thing sound amazing...!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home