Monday, January 09, 2006

2nd Post of the Day :)

The Stove and Ravioli Story

It was my 1st day in Finland. I had only arrived about 2 hrs before my first grocery store outing (in Finland). I had bought several items to last me through the rest of the weekend, because the campus dining areas weren’t open yet. One of the items I bought will be discussed in this short story: Ravioli or in Suomi – Ravioleja. Ravioleja seemed like a good pick and would be easy to prepare. Thankfully the previous tenants had left some eating utensils, plates/bowls, cups, and cooking ware. I chose a small sized pot, opened the can of ravioleja, and poured it into that small pot.
As most people do, I proceed to place the pot on a small eye and turn the knob to about the 5 mark. I had a little something to do in the other room, so I left for a few minutes. As usual, those “few minutes” turned out to be a little bit longer than I expected. I rush back expecting the contents of the pot to be boiling and to have possibly burned on the bottom of the pot.
And did I seeeeee . . . the ravioleja looked exactly the same as I had left it!! I take the pot off the stove and slowly rest my hand on the eye. What did my skin feel? Why, it felt an eye that was cold as ice! Yes, astonishing. I proceed to check all the other eyes, and they too did not produce the much desired heat. Thus, I try the oven next . . . and to my amazement it worked!! YEA!!! Then I realize that pouring my ravioleja on to a flat pan wouldn’t produce the results I so desired. The proverbial light bulb went off in my head and . . . TA DA! I could put the pot in the oven, keep the door open, and wait patiently for my food to warm up (by the way there is no microwave; so that option was out of the question).
Thus, I spent part of my New Year’s Eve sitting in front of a stove waiting for my ravioleja to have a decently warm temperature. Finally my ravioleja was ready!! I felt like a real college student ;) The picture of this scene can be found below.

4 Comments:

At 4:36 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man! so please do tell about the people and animals, etc. you have encountered thus far. i miss you! dont starve--hehe!
shaelyn

 
At 6:53 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emeril would be proud to have you on his next show, "One Pot Meals That Keep You Warm".

This story will be told for years to come.

Love,
Mom

 
At 7:48 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy! Looks like the fun is just beginning. I'm not sure Finland is prepared for all this excitement. Keep those blogs and pictures coming. I'll do all I can to keep Mom calmed down when we're working the same days.

 
At 4:15 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy,
Hope all is well with you. I had dinner with your Mom on Wed. 1/11/06 with the express purpose of hearing all about your arrival in Finland. She showed me your blog site & I will make my 2nd attempt to post a comment after having received additional instructions. We wished you could have had some of your Mom's delicious soup with us instead of ravoli. Thanks for sharing your adventures so we can vicariously enjoy your international experiences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home