Monday, January 16, 2006

Kauppatori ja Toripoliis

Wow . . . I have seen the sun, sky, AND moon 3 times in the past four days!! Can’t believe it! Woohoo!! Haha, yeah well normally Oulu doesn’t see any of that until around mid February March. The temps have been up and down (-6 to 2 degrees Celsius), which is between 19 to 35.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course what I’ve been hearing is that in TN and NC it’s been as high as 60 and 70 degrees. So, it seems that many places are having abnormally hot weather.
So, Saturday my roommate and I (Eva, from Czech Republic) went downtown via walking. 5.2 km there and back :) I thought we did it in record time too. We ventured there to find the fat, statue policeman (name = Toripoliis) in market square. Lonely Planet says that he is located in one of the liveliest market squares in Finland, Kauppatori. I have to say it wasn’t exactly what you would call lively on a Saturday morning around 10:30/11 or so on Saturday. But we had our picture made with him. He was quite excited to see two beautiful, foreign, young women at his side (I'll put Eva's picture on here later). For whatever reason, the Policemen here are actually well liked and well known here (I'm not exactuly sure why, but I'll ask Janika and see if she knows). We then venture to his right and find an indoor market place – this is where we saw more of the “liveliness” Lonely Planet was talking about.
We enter the red and white wooden building and the scent of fish and seafood smacked us in the face. At first a little repulsive, but then you get used to it after you see all the varieties of seafood delicately decorated. Both of us bought some salmon (I told her not to pronounce the L, in a nice way though). It was already precooked so when we eventually made it back to the flat we didn’t have to cook it in the oven or the stove (of course these stupid people still haven’t come to fix our stove top so we couldn’t have used it anyway). But I digress, and then we make our rounds to the other parts of the indoor market place. I don’t know why, but I have been a’cravin’ some dessert type food ever since I got here. I don’t know if I’m not getting enough nutrients in some area of my diet and therefore I have a HUGE sweet tooth . . . I really dunno. Anyhow, it took ALL of me to restrain myself from buying all the different sweets they had. I would tantalize your taste buds with comprehensive, exhaustive depiction of those sweets, but the names are in Finnish and I haven’t tasted them yet. SOOO, once I do some more exercising and haven’t already downed some sweets the previous day, I will make ya’ll wish you were here to enjoy the cuisine of Suomi hedelmät or jälkiruoka ( Finnish desserts)! However, I did break down and buy pulla, which is a type of pastry that I think we have back home. Completely worth my mooollaaa . . . flaky type breading, ever so sugary sweetness, with a center oh, so provocative and gooey . . . . . . . . Okay so the inside stuff of the pulla is called marmalade. Maybe I’ve just been out of the loop for the past 20 and half years, but what is freakin’ marmalade?? Sure I had heard of the word before I came to Europe, but these people talk about it like it is everyday language. Somebody said that it was a type of jelly/jam which I kinda saw for myself to be true. I mean I may have heard of it in one of the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingles Wilder, but even then I am guessing if I had even heard of the word in those books. Oh as a side note . . . this girl from Denmark, Igna, said that she has read The Little House on the Prairie books and Anne of Green Gables books!! Simply fantastic if you ask me :) Those two sets of series are among my faves.
Alrighty, so enough about all that . . . I am going to go now, but until next time moi, moi!!

5 Comments:

At 5:33 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, which one is you in that picture--hehe! im glad you are exploring the food of finland--i hope you eat many many good things. love ya!
shaelyn

 
At 12:01 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That market sounds enticing. Wonder how long it would take to ship goodies from there to here??? No, don't send food. Just tantalize us with more provocative descriptions...

I've included the definition of marmalade: A clear, jellylike preserve made from the pulp and rind of fruits, especially citrus fruits.
Linguistic roots:
[French marmelade, from Portuguese marmelada, from marmelo, quince, alteration of Latin melimlum, a kind of sweet apple, from Greek melimlon : meli, honey; see melit- in Indo-European Roots + mlon, apple.]

 
At 12:23 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waht a stroy! I'm so gald to haer taht yur'oe haivng a ncie tmie oevr tehre. Can't wiat to get the nxet reprot. By the way, hvae you noitecd antyiihng stnrage aoubt tihs cmoemnt? It semes that rscheaerchres hvae dtremnied taht it deson't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltetres are in the rgiht pclae. Taht's bcuseae the huamn mnid deson't raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Knida inrtsenig, huh? I konw it's not Fninsih psarty, but it is sitll food for thugoht. And it deos knida rsmelbe smoe of toshe feirgon wdros yuv'oe been uinsg! Ltater!
dmj

 
At 1:15 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
If a pig loses it's voice, is it disgruntled?
When someone asks you, "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in...what happens to the other penny?
Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
Why do croutons come in an airtight package? Aren't they just stale bread to begin with?
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
If FedEx and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed Up?
Do Lipton Tea employees take coffee breaks?
What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
If it's true that we're here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?
Later Little B!

 
At 9:43 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! I love your Blog and your incredibile adventures. The biking in any weather really is unreal. How do they ride on snow??? I have had problems on pavement haha. What did I tell you about those saunas. SO are they in to Nordic mythology ? Like Thor and such or is that all ancient history. I look forward to readin more!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home